Laptop DC Jack Repair
You might need a nerd if…
- Your laptop battery won’t charge properly
- There are scratching sounds coming from the DC jack
- The DC jack gets hot after a few minutes of charging and maybe even the smell of something burning
- Your screen flickers while charging
A few things you should know about DC jack repair
1. Your laptop’s DC jack is more fragile than you might thinkA lot of our customers are surprised when they learn that the tiny plug that powers your laptop is a fragile piece of hardware. While it is true that it has a pretty simple job, the problem is that it gets a huge amount of wear and tear. Every time you pull the power cord out of your laptop, the jack housing is placed under strain. This is especially true if you have a habit of yanking it out roughly or trip on the cord regularly!
2. Your laptop’s DC Jack is hardwired to its motherboardThe next thing you should know about the DC jack is that is soldered into the motherboard. In other words, it is directly connected to the brain of your computer. While it has a simple job to play in making your laptop work, it’s directly connected to the most important part of your computer. Which leads us to the third thing you need to know.
3. Getting to the DC jack isn’t a simple process!Even though a DC jack is a small and basic component, it’s surprisingly tricky to access. Before repairing your DC jack, it’s first necessary to remove the outer housing, the motherboard, the hard drive and RAM along with the keyboard and its frame. It’s quite a tricky operation just to get to this one tiny component.
Here’s the good newsWhen a DC jack fries, you usually won’t have to get the whole motherboard replaced. We have the know-how to simply unsolder the DC jack from the board and solder on a new one. This can save you significant money, time and hassle.
Nerds On Call can repair your laptop DC jackPerforming these steps on your own is very difficult and time-consuming. If you’ve never soldered before, you can easily damage your motherboard trying to replace the DC jack. But you don’t have to try to do this yourself. If your DC jack needs repairing, we can help. Call us at 1-800-919-6373 or fill out our contact form. You can send your laptop to us in the mail or drop it off at any of our stores throughout California and Oregon.
Nerds Price List
Now you too can get the answer to our most frequently asked question, “How much do you charge?” Just enter your email address and we’ll send you our Nerds on Call Price Chart.
Questions nerds often hear about Laptop DC Jack Repair
What is a laptop DC jack?
A DC jack is the place where you plug your power cord in
Can you fix a DC jack? Isn’t it soldered onto the motherboard?
Yes, and yes. We know how to solder, so that’s not a problem. Keep reading to learn more